It was great seeing Houston in the spotlight this week. The awesome weather made it a fun week for bike transportation.
Stephanie is recovering slowly from a nasty shingles outbreak, so most of the travel this week was mine. Sparky the Dog is thrilled that Stephanie is feeling well enough to return as lead human.
Highs of the Week
- Bus trip to Discovery Green. I experienced Super Bowl LIVE. Very proud of Houston.
- Stephanie carpooled to Friday morning coffee. Friends took the highly medicated Stephanie out in public. No reports of drooling.
- Rode my bike downtown. I was a BikeHouston bike valet at Super Bowl LIVE and met Rose Nolen.
- Biking to art/carpooling to art. Got to see the work of artists Tara Conley and Adela Andea.
- Grocery shopping by bike. Recorded a personal best of carrying 27 lbs. of food on my bike.
Lows of the Week
- The death of Marjorie Corcoran, 66. The Rice University physics and astronomy professor was struck by a METRO rail train on Friday as she rode her bicycle toward campus.
It was a slow travel week, just 94.1 miles. Here’s how it went:
Walking: 2.1 miles
Bus/Rail: 11.4 miles
Bike: 50.5 miles
Uber: 18.2 miles
Car: 11.9 miles
We incurred no costs from the week’s private car trip (driven by friends). Bicycles and their upkeep cost something. We’re using $1 for every day the bike is used. By walking, biking and taking the bus instead driving a car, 29.1 lbs of CO2 were not emitted.